The Outdoor Experience
Outdoor-learning experiences offer a great deal in terms of benefits. At Kingshott, we recognise the importance of learning outdoors to promote pupils’ physical development, interest in learning and enjoyment of being outdoors. By committing to learning both inside and outside the classroom, we are able to teach children that learning occurs everywhere, at all times.
High-quality outdoor learning experiences are proven to:
- develop reflective and inquisitive thinking along with problem-solving approaches in ‘real’ situations
- encourage holistic development of children
- develop resilience and adaptability in occasionally adverse circumstances
- allow children to become more able to identify hazards and risks
- develop a love, appreciation and respect for nature and all that is living
- develop an understanding of how we can look after our environment
- develop self-awareness, confidence and self-esteem
- develop collaborative-working and communication skills
- provide positive health benefits – both physically and mentally – and assist gross and fine-motor development
- develop a lifelong love of the outdoors
Our Nursery and Pre-Prep are able to use our extensive outdoor areas to enhance their learning experiences. Children have opportunities to develop forest school skills, join Gardening Club or even use the outdoors for their phonics sessions.
Pre-Prep and Nursery have their own outdoor classroom and Gardening Club as well as access to the school’s grounds and our nature area.
Children can be found engaged in outdoor activities such as; den building, minibeast hunts, practising writing their letters with sand and water, growing plants or enjoying a story outdoors on a sunny day.